Is it possible that you have found, discovered or inherited an authentic painting or drawing by Claude Monet? Yes. Why? Because there are plenty of reasons to believe that some Monet paintings and drawings remain to be discovered.
We know this for a fact, because it has happened to some of our clients and they went on to sell the paintings through a most important auctioneer, for several million dollars.
There are many aspects of Monet’s life that give us reason to believe that some of his paintings or drawings have been lost over time.
1) Monet began his career as a caricaturist. While a few of his earliest caricatures have been preserved, it is pretty much certain that more have yet to be discovered. A good place to find one would be in the pages of old books.
2) Monet was destitute for a long time. He struggled to pay his rent.
3) Monet suffered from depression, tried to commit suicide. Jumped in the Seine river in Paris.
4) We know he took out an advertisement in the French classifieds offering to paint a composition in any color the buyer wanted.
5) Monet was drafted into the military in 1861 and spent nearly a year in Algeria. His artistic output during his time there is not entirely clear.
6) Monet spent three months in Bordighera and his output while he was there is also no well known.
7) Monet moved multiple times.
These events and situations are all conducive to having traded paintings, having sold some for very little, having abandoned some, thrown away others, lost or stolen a few. Having produced paintings and drawings nobody knows he had ever created.
If you have a potential Monet painting we will analyze it, research it, perform some tests of the materials if necessary, check the signature with a forensic examination, examine it anywhere in the world and finally we will produce an extensive report showing and explaining and demonstrating that your painting is authentic.
We will issue a Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) and if you need help selling it we will assist you.